Monday, September 26, 2011

Let's Have A Talk





Sunday I had the privilege of sitting in on a wonderful Sunday school class at our church.  The topic was prayer and the lesson couldn’t have come at a better time for me.  I must admit that I struggle with praying.  We were all asked to pray for our upcoming revival for 30 minutes periods, and my time was late at night.  The last thing I wanted to do was pray..besides God knew what I was going to say anyway.  Why did I need to stop what I was doing, (or not doing like sleeping) and pray?  Against my will I sat down feeling like I was doing something out of obligation and tried to focus at the task at hand.  My heart was willing, but my mind was somewhere else.  Then I had an idea.  I like to write, why don’t I just write down what I was thinking.  Part of my problem (and guilt) was the fact that really hadn’t prayed to God for a while.  As our Sunday school teacher said, I was using God like a drive thru..expecting a fast order, and even faster service.  It was time I “went inside” and savored my requests.  So I began to write my letter to God.  I wrote and wrote!  I thanked Him, confessed to Him, told Him my needs and wants.  Before I knew it my 30 minutes turned into several pages of conversation with an old friend.  I realized through all of this that I was staying in touch with my children and husband better that I was staying in touch with God.  I talk with my girls everyday and miss it so much when they don’t call.  I should have that same desire and need to talk to God.  There are so many ways for us to stay in touch these days.  E-mail, cell phones, and yes the good old fashion way..letter writing.  Next time you don’t know what to say to God or you think it is useless because he already knows, stop and find your special way to communicate with Him.  He misses you like He missed me!

Peace,
Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment