Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Hike                                      
We had the privilege of spending last week in the mountains of South Carolina.  Needless to say the trails and waterfalls were amazing.  However I must admit that while I do enjoy short trips romping through the woods dodging low hanging limbs and tripping over large roots and rocks, the longer hikes are not for me.  Steve can hike for miles and miles and be in heaven while I try to contain my bad attitude and wonder why all the trees look the same.  

 However my attitude always changes when we finally come upon that one spot that we were looking for.  My eyes are open to the beauty that surrounds us as we stare at the waterfall ahead; a stream of water forcefully flowing over a series of rocks and ledges.  It is truly an amazing sight. We climb down to get as close as we can to the creation God has made.  Each time we must choose our steps carefully.  The ground is loose and the rocks are wet and slippery, but the view is spectacular.

While the waterfalls that we saw on our trip were as different as the trails were to get to them, the sound was always the same; the silent river above giving way to the crashing force of the water pouring over the rocks below.  In an instant that sound could wash away all my complaints of aching feet and bug bites.  How dare I worry about my own needs and desires, when I see what God has created before me?

The sight of water can be such a cleansing thing on so many levels.  Of course we use water ever day to physically wash away dirt and grime.  But the sound of water rushing over the jagged rocks of the falls makes me think of how God’s love rushes over the jagged rocks of our lives.  Nothing can get in the way of His love as he washes away our sins and doubts.  Just as the water flows over or around the obstacles of nature (fallen trees, rocks, etc.) God’s love finds a way to flow over the obstacles of our lives.   

Without a moment’s notice, the silent river that we have been floating on can turn into a rush of water that only God can guide us through.  That is when we should travel as close as we can to see His glory.  There may be some low hanging limbs that we must dodge, or some roots we will trip over, but the journey is worth it.  His love can reshape our lives just as the water reshapes the rocks of the falls over time.  God’s beauty is all around us.  We just have to make sure that we choose the right path so we don’t miss it. 

Let your love flow!

Peace,

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment