Monday, January 30, 2012

Words?

Blessed are they who have nothing to say, and who cannot be persuaded to say it.

Amish Proverb
 Have you ever said something that you regretted the minute it came out of your mouth.  I know I have.  I really tend to speak before I think.  And when I do know what I want to say, it tends to come out all wrong.  I think that is why I like to write so much.  I can put my thoughts and feelings down on paper, reread them, and erase and change things if I need to!  Wow, I wish my mouth had a built in eraser.  I think it truly is a gift to be able to hold your tongue.  You may not think it is as hard not to speak your mind or give your opinion if you are a quiet person who likes to keep to yourself.  But the things we say don’t just come out of our mouth!  Many times our body language speaks volumes.  I am embarrassed to admit that I have turned and walked down another aisle in the grocery store if I saw someone I knew that I really didn't feel like talking to that day.  I have also crossed over to the other side of the street just avoid a homeless man sitting against the very building I wanted to go in to.  I think we have all done things like that. 
While it is wise to guard our words, we don’t need to always guard our actions.  In my mind Christ was a very quiet man on earth, but when he did speak people listened.  He was not persuaded to say things that he thought would protect him, or make others respect him. He spoke the truth..the good, the bad, and the ugly. While his words were powerful, his actions went beyond our comprehension, and hung upon the cross for all to see.  His pain and suffering spoke of his love for us. While on earth, he never walked away from someone who needed him just because he didn’t feel like talking that day, or because that person was poor and dirty.  In fact those are the people he “spoke to” the most. 
What can I do in my life to “act” like Jesus? Well I think I can start by choosing my words carefully and keeping my mouth shut sometimes.  But I should never keep my heart shut.  True love comes from within..I can speak the truth but it will be useless unless I live the truth. I must strive daily to follow the path God laid out before me, listening to His words and walking in the steps of Jesus.   
Let your actions go before your words, and guard your tongue. Then you won't need an eraser.  You might be surprised how much people will really listen!
 Peace,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment