Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dig In

 Recently, my daughter got me a new Bible for my birthday this year.  It is the Life Application Study Bible, and I really love it.  It is full of so much background information and insight to what the verses are saying…very easy for me to understand.  As I was reading in it this morning I started to underline a passage that seemed important, but then I stopped.  I stopped because I didn’t want to “ruin” the pages in my beautiful new Bible!  How crazy is that?  You see my “old” Bible was full of highlighted passages, and notes scribbled around the pages.  Some pages were worn and the cover was torn.  Not very “pretty”.  So I really wanted to keep my Bible looking as new as possible.   I admit that I sometimes look at other people’s Bibles in Sunday School class or a Bible Study and think “wow, you should really take better care of such an important book.”  But is that what God wants us to do?  Does He want His word to be put on a shelf and only pulled out carefully when we want something good to read, or does He want us to get our hands dirty, and really dig into His word.  The pages of a Bible are just that, pages.  But the words of the Bible are truth.  A truth that needs to be highlighted, underlined and marked in our hearts.

I can’t wait to “ruin” my Bible and turn the pages with my dirty hands.   In God’s eyes, a well worn Bible is a sign of a well worn life, and that is beautiful and new to Him.

Peace,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment