Saturday, February 16, 2013

Solitaire


I must admit that I am hooked on playing “spider” solitaire on the computer.  Whenever I have a free minute during the day, I sit on the couch and start playing on my computer.  Before I know it, I have played several games.  Of course it becomes a challenge after a while to win just one!   I try to justify playing by telling myself that it keeps my mind active (I need that) and it causes me to think instead of just sitting and watching TV.   As I was playing just a few minutes ago and feeling guilty for spending so much time on the computer, it occurred to me that the game of Solitaire is much like someone’s life (mine).  Of course it is a game for one, but it is much more than that.  It is a game that requires one to think and make a move that will effect or cause another move.  If I move this card here, then I can move that card there.  If anything, the game has taught me to look beyond just one move at a time.  Isn’t that what we should be doing in life?  We shouldn’t be living life just one “move” at a time.  We need to be consistently looking beyond the “moment” and seeing what our actions may cause in the future. If we move the wrong card just because it seems to fit, we may be blocking our chances to line everything up just right.   Another thing I like about playing solitaire on the computer is that I can click the “hint” icon when I am stuck and don’t know what my next move should be.  A card lights up and I can see where I should place that card so I can continue the game.  The hint is usually so evident, that I can’t believe I missed the move on my own.  Many times I have to admit that it was a move that I was just too impatient to look for.  I usually wanted to draw a new set of cards to see if they were any better than the ones that were dealt to me. I often found myself in the same position and before I know it “game over”! 

So who is my “hint” icon in life?  Of course it is God.  If I just seek his advice in my next move, I wouldn’t lose so many games! And yes the advice may be something that I could have come up with on my own, if I were just patient enough.  But I’m not, that is why I need God.  Sometimes I must admit that I am too lazy to search for Him, and spend most of my times making the “easy” moves.  I may not be an expert in solitaire, but I do know that I don’t want to spend my life alone trying to figure out what my next move will be.  I don’t want to wake up one day and see the words “game over”  with nothing to show for it.  I want to constantly live my life seeking His advice for my “next move”.    I want to live the life I was dealt, and strive to seek His will daily.  We all have games that we play, but our life is not a game.  It is a gift from God and should be treated as so.  Follow the rules that God has set before you in your life.  When you do, you will see the rewards, and realize that “game over” is just the beginning.
Peace,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment