Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Our Story

“Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity..."

~Gilda render

I read this quote the other day from Gilda Radner, a wonderful comedian who lost her life years ago to cancer.  I’m not sure when she made this statement, before or after cancer, but it really got me to thinking about the words she said.

 We should view our lives as a wonderful and interesting story that God has written.  While we physically have a clear beginning (birth) and a clear ending (death), it is the middle that fascinates me the most.  I disagree with Radner and the first part of her statement, but it is the rest of the quote that struck me.  Of course we don’t have a roadmap of our lives or a set of directions to refer to every time we have a question.  And there are so many times in our lives that we just don’t know what is going to happen next.  But that is where God comes in.  That is where faith comes in. 

When I was younger and would read a book, I would always “cheat” and read the ending of the story about half way through the book.  I either became bored with the book, or I just couldn’t wait to see what would happen.  What a relief to know that I don’t have to do that with my life.  I already know what is going to happen when my story ends.  I know that the final chapters will be written by the One who matters the most.  We may not know what is going to happen tomorrow or next week, and we all will encounter situations that we just have to “make the best of”, but isn’t that all so much easier to face knowing that we have God in our corner?  I think we can help God write our story by the way we live and the way we act.  We all can give him some good material to work with!  But the good news is that no matter our story, the ending is the same..salvation through His son Jesus.  Now that sounds like a best seller to me!

Peace,
Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment